Job Opportunity for a Recent MLS Graduate
Digital Services Intern
Canadian Research Knowledge Network
Location: Applications from across Canada are invited. The position requires the successful candidate to live in the Ottawa/National Capital Region for the duration of the 16-week internship.
Hours of work: 35 hours/week, Monday-Friday
Length of internship: 16 weeks, anticipated work period will begin in August, September or early October (to be determined based project timelines and candidate’s availability).
The Canadian Research Knowledge Network (CRKN) is a collaboration of Canadian universities, dedicated to expanding digital content for the academic research enterprise in Canada. http://www.crkn-rcdr.ca/
Are you eligible to apply?
This internship is funded by Canadian Heritage's Young Canada Works program (https://young-canada-works.canada.ca/). To be eligible to apply for this internship, you must be:
• a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, or have refugee status in Canada;
• legally entitled to work in Canada;
• between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of employment;
• willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment;
• not have another full-time job (over 30 hours a week) while employed with YCW;
• an unemployed or underemployed college or university graduate;
• a recent graduate who has graduated from college or university within the last 24 months at the start of employment;
• not receiving Employment Insurance (EI) benefits while employed with YCW;
• have not previously participated in or been paid under this or any other Career Focus internship program funded under the Government of Canada's Youth Employment Strategy.
Our ideal candidate:
Are you a recent Master of Library Studies (MLS/MLIS) graduate with a background or interest in content management systems and data quality? Do you have an interest in learning more about licensing resources for libraries? Are you interested in exploring a non-traditional career path? Do you bring a service-oriented perspective to your work? Are you interested in working with academic librarians across Canada? If yes, CRKN invites you to apply for the position of Digital Services Intern.
The Digital Services Intern will work alongside CRKN's Licensing & Member Services team on member-focused digital projects. Under the supervision of the Special Projects Officer, the Intern will work with both the Licensing & Member Services team to support the delivery of member services including the enhancement of on-line support tools, and the Special Projects Officer to support the development of collaborative projects. The Intern will contribute to these projects through research assistance, information gathering, and other tasks as the projects continue to develop. The Intern will be involved in the planning and evaluation of a number of sessions at the CRKN Annual General Meeting, scheduled for October 18 – 20, 2017. The Intern may also be involved in supporting the Licensing & Member Services team with some aspects of the license renewal process.
CRKN will contribute to your employability by providing a rewarding work experience and unsurpassed networking opportunities with our Canadian members and external stakeholders. CRKN will facilitate a job shadowing opportunity at an academic library, encourage you to attend local networking and professional development events, and provide job search support.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications of education, experience and skills:
Degree required: MLS/MLIS degree
Language: Fluent in English, basic French (bilingualism is considered a strong asset)
You must have above average computer skills and be comfortable using a variety of technologies to identify and solve a business need. CRKN makes extensive use of Outlook, Excel, and Drupal. Preference will be given to candidates with familiarity with relational databases, web-based content management systems (Drupal highly preferred), and Twitter.
Additional Required Skills:
• experience in using web-based systems and applications
• ability to work independently
• high level of initiative and strong sense of ownership to achieve results for the overall organization
• superior customer relationship management skills
• capability to be a team player with demonstrated ability to adapt to changing environments and multiple deadlines
• ability to work well under pressure with discretion, tact and good judgement.
How to apply:
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume (as a single PDF) to Kimberly Silk, Special Projects Officer: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Before hire, the successful candidate must be registered with the Young Canada Works Candidate Inventory to be eligible for this internship. Please go to https://young-canada-works.canada.ca to register.
CRKN is an equal opportunity employer, with policies and practices intended to build an inclusive and accessible work environment.