The Scugog Memorial Public Library is looking for an enthusiastic student to act as Summer Reading Club Coordinator for their 2023 Summer Reading Club.
This full-time (35 hours per week from June 5th to August 18th) position offers the opportunity to:
- Schedule, plan and deliver multiple weekly programs for school-aged children that present reading as a fun activity
- Work directly with school-aged children to foster their love of reading and use of the Public Library in their community
- Provide promotions and publicity for the Summer Reading Club programs throughout the Township of Scugog, through displays, media relations and community outreach
The ideal candidate for this position will possess the following skills and characteristics: - Experienced in and comfortable with working with large groups of children
- Experienced in and comfortable with public speaking and presenting to large groups - Knowledge of marketing and promotional techniques
- Knowledge of children's literature, with a focus on Canadian resources. Knowledge of contemporary Indigenous authors and literature for children and youth is considered an asset.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Meets eligibility criteria for the Young Canada Works in Heritage Organizations
This position would provide an ideal summer employment experience for a student in Library Sciences, either in a Library Technician program or enrolled in an MLIS program. This position would also provide an excellent opportunity to gain experience working with children for a post-secondary student who is planning a career in Education.
The successful candidate must provide, prior to commencing employment:
1. A satisfactory criminal reference check based on vulnerable sector from a Canadian
Police Information Centre
NOTE: We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Personal information will be used to determine eligibility for potential employment and is pursuant to the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
Scugog Memorial Public Library is an equal opportunity employer. In addition, accommodation will be provided in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).
Please send a resume and covering letter via email to:
Ms. Amy Caughlin, CEO
Scugog Memorial Public Library
Deadline for Applications is 5:00 pm, Monday, May15, 2023