Position: Museum Assistant
The Port Coquitlam Heritage and Cultural Society is a volunteer driven non-profit organization that
operates Port Coquitlam’s only Museum and Archives dedicated to celebrating and preserving Port
Coquitlam’s diverse heritage and culture.
We are seeking a Museum Assistant to join our team!
Working under the direction of the Museum Manager, the Museum Assistant will be responsible for:
- Assisting in a major collections project processing, digitizing, and rehousing artwork, large
photographs and maps
- Assisting with other collections work as needed
- Assisting in the management and creation of social media and website content
- Some basic graphic design work including creating posters, social media posts, and other
promotional material for exhibits, events, and programming when needed
- Helping facilitate events, programs, fundraisers, and outreach as needed
- Other related duties as assigned
- A relevant Post-secondary degree or diploma in Museum Studies, History, Education,
- Experience with common office software and social media platforms (Microsoft Office Suite,
Google Workspace, Facebook, Twitter ,Instagram)
- Outstanding organizational skills and attention to detail
- Able to work independently and in a collaborative environment
- Excellent English oral and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Able to lift and carry boxes and supplies up to 20 lbs, and able to climb ladders and reach overhead
- Experience working in a museum environment
- Experience with WordPress
- Experience with PastPerfect Museum Software
- Proficiency in Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Canva, and/or InDesign
This a contract position from October 25, 2022 – March 31, 2023. Hours are 35 per week, at the rate of
$18 per hour plus statutory benefits.
At PoCo Heritage our mission is to preserve and celebrate the diverse heritage of our community and we
recognize the importance of inclusive teams in achieving this goal. Applications from self-identified
members of underserved communities as well as those from visible and invisible minority communities
To be eligible for this position you must:
- be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, or have refugee status in Canada;
Note: Non-Canadian graduates holding temporary work visas or awaiting permanent
status are not eligible.
- be legally entitled to work in Canada;
- be between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of employment;
- meet the specific eligibility criteria of the program to which you apply;
- be registered in the YCW online candidate inventory;
- be willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment; and
- not have another full-time job during the YCW work assignment.
Graduates in an internship program must also:
- be a graduate from college or university;
- be unemployed or underemployed; and
- not be receiving Employment Insurance (EI) benefits while employed in a YCW work assignment.
Note: Priority will be given to graduates that have not previously participated in YCW internship
Please submit a cover letter and resume to:
Alex Code, Museum Manager - firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject line: Job Application – Museum Assistant
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be