Job title: Digital Communications Assistant
Organization name: Quest Art School + Gallery
Job location: Midland, ON
Length of assignment: 2021-09-13 - 2022-03-31
Hourly wage: $18.00
Quest Art School + Gallery was incorporated as a charitable, not for profit organization in 1995.
We INNOVATE by:
i. Creating programmes and partnerships across traditional disciplines;
ii. Believing that the role of an art institution is to be relevant and responsive to the current social issues and ideas being questioned and discussed locally and beyond;
iii. Creating a culture where new ideas are welcome and histories and traditions are accorded appropriate respect;
iv. A willingness to experiment and try doing things differently than how a traditional arts organization normally operates;
v. Taking risks and creating a culture and environment where one may not succeed at something, but will learn from it, and thus improve;
vi. Ensuring that youth have a voice and whose interests are represented and respected within the organization;
vii. Focusing on the fact that we are a “creative” institution – and holding as a core value that creativity is the essential component in being able to achieve success, no matter what it is that is undertaken.
viii. Providing a direct benefit for Midland and area, and the North Simcoe communities through the programmes and opportunities that are being developed through the Incubator. These benefits include – but are not limited to: economic and downtown revitalization; combatting social isolation; inclusive activities and opportunities for marginalized communities; and greater opportunities for volunteerism;
ix. Ensuring that we provide professional development and participatory opportunities for and responsive to the needs of our emerging and local community artists of all skill levels.
We are looking for a Digital Communications Assistant:
• Help implement communications strategies
• Provide administrative support to programs and internal teams
• Draft and edit communications copy (e.g. press releases, publications, social media posts)
• Maintain web content and executing social media strategies
• Update databases and media lists
• Track projects and media exposure
• Facilitate effective internal communications
• Maintain calendars and appointments
• Prepare presentations and reports
We are located on the shores of Georgian Bay, on the traditional territory of the Anishnaabe peoples, including the Ojibwe/Chippewas and Potawatomi, and the ancestral home of the Huron-Wendat Nation.
The successful candidate will have graduated from a post-secondary education in education, fine arts/visual arts, arts administration, museum studies or related program; have a strong commitment to arts and culture; have excellent oral and written communication and customer service skills; have experience with Word Press be self-motivated and able to work independently; willing to work evenings and/or weekends as required; be highly organized; be able to work collaboratively with different groups; be proficient at social media and the creation of online/digital programmes. Should have a valid driver’s licence. Excellent oral and written English is required. Proficiency in oral and written French is an asset.
Funding for this position is provided through the Young Canada Works at Building Careers Heritage program and all applicants must be registered in the YCW candidate pool and meet the current YCW-BCH eligibility criteria.
Eligibility for YCW-BCH:
An individual may be eligible for an internship if they:
• are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, or have refugee status in Canada (non-Canadians holding temporary work visas or awaiting permanent status are not eligible);
• are legally entitled to work in Canada;
• are between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of employment;
• are willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment;
• will not have another full-time job (over 30 hours a week) while employed with the program;
• are unemployed or underemployed;
• are a college or university graduate; and
• are not receiving Employment Insurance (EI) benefits while employed with the program.
Note: Priority will be given to graduates that have not previously participated in YCW internship programs.
Consistent with Quest Art School + Gallery values, we acknowledge and recognize that it is located on land which is the traditional and Treaty territory of the Anishinabek people, now known as the Chippewa Tri-Council comprised of Beausoleil First Nation, Rama First Nation, and the Georgina Island First Nation. We also recognize that we are located on land which was once the traditional territory of the Huron-Wendat and that our community is home to many citizens of the Métis Nation of Ontario and to a large and diverse community of Indigenous peoples.
Quest Art is committed to upholding the values of equity, diversity, inclusion and human rights in our living, learning and work environments. We know that diversity underpins excellence, and that we all share responsibility for creating an equitable, diverse and inclusive community. In pursuit of our values, we seek applications from those who will work respectfully and constructively with differences and across levels of power.
We actively encourage applications from members of groups with historical and/or current barriers to equity, including, but not limited to,
• First Nations, Métis and Inuit peoples, and all other Indigenous peoples;
• members of groups that commonly experience discrimination due to race, ancestry, colour, religion and/or spiritual beliefs, or place of origin;
• persons with visible and/or invisible (physical and/or mental) disabilities;
• persons who identify as women; and
• persons of marginalized sexual orientations, gender identities, and gender expressions.
We recognize that many of these identities intersect and that therefore, equity, diversity and inclusion can be complex. We value the contributions that each person brings, and we are committed to ensuring full and equal participation for all in our community.
Candidates may apply through the https://young-canada-works.canada.ca/
For any enquires related to this position please contact firstname.lastname@example.org