***This position is for a single Collections Assistant
The Rooms is an innovative, culturally relevant institution that represents and showcases Newfoundland and Labrador to itself and to the world, and brings the wider world to its doorstep. It is home to the province’s archives, art gallery, and museum and is located in downtown St. John's Newfoundland and Labrador.
The Collections Assistant will work on artifact collections and their associated records, inventorying, carrying out research, and data entry to update, upgrade and enhance catalogue records and inventories of the Museum Division's diverse collections of artifacts. This work will involve research, inventorying, analysis, photography digitizing, and data entry. Professional museum staff will provide specialized training, supervision and experiences for candidates in the tasks outlined above and provide them with knowledge of museum and museum collections work.
Candidates should be at least one year into a degree in one of the following fields of study: museum studies, anthropology, public history, history, folklore, or a related field. They should be willing to learn new skills and be interested to work with artifacts, records and databases. Knowledge of Newfoundland and Labrador culture and history would be highly valued. The applicant should possess excellent oral and written communication, organizational, computer and time management skills and be detailed oriented. Candidates should have the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships while working independently and in a team environment.
The successful candidate will work Monday to Friday, 7 hour days. A Certificate of Conduct from a law-enforcement organization (for example, the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary) will also be required.
The candidate must fulfill the requirements of the Young Canada Works program:
- Are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, or have refugee status in Canada (non-Canadians holding temporary work visas or awaiting permanent status are not eligible).
- Are legally entitled to work in Canada.
- Will be between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of employment.
- Are willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment.
- Will not have another full-time job (over 30 hours a week) during the Young Canada Works (YCW) work assignment.
- Have been a full-time high school, college, CEGEP or university student (as defined by their educational institution) in the semester preceding the YCW work assignment.
- And intend to return to full-time studies in the semester following the YCW work assignment.
The Rooms is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please forward resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org. For further information, please contact Elaine Anton at (709)-757-8085.
Deadline: May 5, 2021