Tour Guide for the Elmira Railway Museum
457 Elmira Road, Elmira RR1, PEI C0A1K0
Work Term: June 7, 2021-September 4, 2021
Wage: $14.00 per hour plus 4% vacation pay =$14.56
Hours of Work: 37.5 hours per week including week end work
The purpose of this position is to present guided tours of the exhibit space at the Elmira Railway Museum and assist in the Gift Shop as required. The successful candidate will also assist with light cleaning duties and the implementation of the all site programming.
Duties will include but are not limited to:
• Welcome visitors and provide orientation and general information in regards to the site and what is available for the visitors to do
• Provide a guided tour, during which they present an oral history of the site and to answer questions in an informed manner. A written history of the site will be given to each new employee. This narrative includes the history of the original station built in 1912, a description of each artifact and its use, the history of the model train collection and resource library, and the PEI Miniature Railway, the caboose, the “Wye” and connection to the Confederation Trail.
• Monitor visitors to ensure their needs are being met and that they are following all safety precautions and museum regulations
• Assist in Gift Shop. The student will be trained responsibly to execute cash, debit and credit transactions, the use of the cash register and procedure to balance cash daily. They will collect payments, distribute tickets and assign seats for miniature train and speeder rides They will be trained to record, count, price and replenish merchandise in the Gift shop and keep all stock presented in a pleasing manner that will encourage sales.
• Interact with visitors and respond to their many questions regarding fishing, farming, tourist attractions, windmills, where to eat, etc.
• Conduct visitor surveys
• Monitor visitor activity and handle emergency situations eg. injuries on the Confederation Trail
• Assist with the cataloging of the resource library and enter new accessions
• Assist in executing special events over the season
• Assist with marketing and promoting programs and events
• Assist with the general facility operations and maintenance eg. Clean and stock washrooms, cleaning of exhibit buildings, as well as attention to flower beds and play area.
• Comply with all Occupational Health and Safety and Covid 19 regulations,
Applicant is a University or college student, with a background or interest in Tourism management, history or museum studies would be an asset. No previous experience is required as on the job training will be provided. The student must be motivated with an outgoing personality, have good oral communication skills (French would be an asset) and must be a team player. Please apply online to www.youngcanadaworks.ca and forward resume by email to email@example.com .
The Elmira Railway Museum is located on the most eastern section of PEI in Kings County. Eastern Kings is a choice tourist area for visitors from all over the world. Other tourist attractions in the immediate area are: East Point Lighthouse which attracts approximately 40,000 visitors each year to the historic lighthouse built in 1867; North Lake Harbour which is a large port which holds the world record for the largest Bluefin tuna; and the beautiful Basin Head beach which was voted three years in a row as the “best beach in Canada” which also attracts over 50,000 visitors per season. These numbers are prior to Covid 19 and provincial border restrictions.