The Rooms is an innovative, culturally relevant institution that represents and showcases Newfoundland and Labrador to itself and to the world, and brings the wider world to its doorstep. It is home to the province’s archives, art gallery, and museum.
The Collections Assistant will help process the Art Gallery artwork collections though inventory, photography and cataloguing. The successful candidate will acquire skills relating to a state of the art collections management software, Electronic Museum Collections Management System (EMu), and will gain valuable experience with research, handling and documenting artworks within the collection.
The ideal candidate should be enrolled in a post-secondary degree program in history, art history, curatorial studies, library studies, fine art, or museum studies. They will have excellent attention to detail and advanced research skills, illustrated by previous university-level training or work experience; will possess an enthusiasm for the history, artistic expression, and cultural heritage of Newfoundland and Labrador. The candidate should also have excellent computer skills and experience working with a database. They should possess excellent oral and written communication, organizational, computer and time management skills. They should be willing to speak with strangers (our clients) and willing to travel within the province. They should be able to act professionally at all times and have the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships while working independently and in a team environment.
Experience with data entry, information management, handling artifacts, digital cameras, scanners and photo manipulation software would be considered assets.
The candidate must fulfill the requirements of the Young Canada Works program:
- Are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, or have refugee status in Canada (non-Canadians holding temporary work visas or awaiting permanent status are not eligible).
- Are legally entitled to work in Canada.
- Will be between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of employment.
- Are willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment.
- Will not have another full-time job (over 30 hours a week) during the Young Canada Works (YCW) work assignment.
- Have been a full-time high school, college, CEGEP or university student (as defined by their educational institution) in the semester preceding the YCW work assignment.
- Intend to return to full-time studies in the semester following the YCW work assignment.
The Rooms is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Candidates should add their resumes to the YCW online portal by May 9th, 2021.
For more information, contact Angela Noseworthy at email@example.com