Job Title: Museum Exhibits Assistant
Organization: Cole Harbour Heritage Farm Museum
Location: Cole Harbour, NS
Rate of Pay: $12/hour for 35 hours per week
Start & End Dates: June 12, 2017 or as soon as possible to early September, 2017
Language Requirements: English
The Cole Harbour Heritage Farm Museum is a community museum on the site of an original 200 year old farm. It is operated by the Cole Harbour Rural Heritage Society, established 1974. The museum is dedicated to preserving and interpreting Cole Harbour's agricultural past, and to developing understanding of plants, animals and farming today.The museum consists of two heritage homes and six historic barns. Exhibits are in the form of working and static display, visible storage and living history.
The purpose of this position is to assist core staff and volunteers with exhibit creation and enhancement.
Reporting to the Curator, and working closely with the Building Advisory Committee, the duties of the Museum Exhibits Assistant will include:
- Perform weekly checks of all buildings and exhibit areas to ensure proper maintenance, i.e. replacing light bulbs, polishing glass, dusting, sweeping, removing litter and general straightening and rearranging as required.
- Assist in the assessment of the current condition of the permanent museum exhibits.
- Assist in the recommended additions/deletions, new signage, re-painting and general freshening of permanent exhibits. This work will be focused on the Wood Shop and the Market Garden Cold Storage Room exhibits in the Market Barn.
- Assist with elements of exhibit construction involving heritage carpentry and related skills, preparing mounts for display items, security and design panels.
- Assist in construction and installation of permanent exhibits in the Woodworking Shop and the Market Gardening Cold Storage Room and the Market Barn Loft. Working closely with the BAC, this task includes photographing and documenting all phases of exhibit construction and installation, noting any additions or alterations and documenting any Character Defining Elements identified.
The successful candidate will provide proof of eligibility with an academic transcript. Desired skills include;
- enrolled in or graduate of a heritage carpentry, engineering or design degree or certificate program or equivalent
- skill and confidence using hand and power tools is required
- demonstrated interest in museum/cultural interpretation
- strong customer service, public relations and interpersonal skills
- excellent written and oral communications skills
- excellent computer skills
- experience within a cultural institution considered an asset
- certified first-aid skills considered an asset
Applications will be accepted until April 21, 2017 and should be sent to Janice Kirkbright, Executive Director, Cole Harbour Heritage Farm Museum, 471 Poplar Drive, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, B2W 4L2 or firstname.lastname@example.org .
The Halifax Regional Municipality, now referred to as Halifax, is a large geographic entity made up of the cities of Halifax, Dartmouth and surrounding communities. The Cole Harbour Heritage Farm Museum is a rural oasis surrounded by urban development, situated on the outskirts of Dartmouth in former Halifax County and is serviced by three convenient bus routes and just minutes from the “Link” service which takes riders to downtown Halifax in 20 minutes. The Cole Harbour area is a bustling urban district that has convenient amenities, shopping, natural history and recreational opportunities close at hand. Of particular interest is the Cole Harbour Lawrencetown Coastal Heritage Park which is bisected by the Saltmarsh Trail which is part of the Trans Canada Trail.
For further information visit: http://coleharbourfarmmuseum.ca/